Note : In certain situations it is best to call the emergency services in your country, if this is one of those emergency situations,take a few deep breaths,call them and try to explain the situation as calmly as possible.
Otherwise,hopefully you will find the following tips helpful.
First you need to be willing to identify & change your coping reactions to healthier ones,I know its frightening giving up your safety blanket of things that work for you but they probably have long-term consequences.
Get a piece of paper or a Word Document open to answer some questions about yourself.
Feel free to add your own information,I can't write up all possible answers,the examples are to get you thinking!
How do you cope when faced with stressful situations & what are the negative consequences of these coping mechanisms ?
- You isolate yourself to avoid possible pain.Avoid pleasant social activities,physical exercise.
- You self-harm (cutting,pulling out hair,damage skin,burning,mutilation...)
- You ruminate about negative experiences & worry about negative things that could happen in the future
- You use alcohol or drugs to numb feelings.
- You make suicide attempts or life-threatening choices
- You take part in unsafe sex (unprotected/frequent sex with strangers)
- Eating-too much or too little(restriction),throwing up...
- You take out your negative emotions out on others
- You avoid dealing with your problems,surrendering to the pain and living an unfulfilled life
Hopefully now you have a better idea why you should look at alternative coping mechanisms.
Some healthy coping mechanisms can be found in this post Crisis Skills